Friday, September 15, 2006

Like Sand Through the Hourglass

“When you are young there is so much ahead of you that you feel you have all the time in the world. You can have fifteen hobbies and time to dabble in them all. But now I only have so much time left and I don’t want to split it between ten or fifteen acitivites. I have to focus. The time to dabble a little here and a little there is gone. My time is a zero sum game. If I choose to spend it here with you in the park, that means I’m not spending it with my grandchildren.”

He put his seventy-three year old hand over mine to emphasize what he is about to say.

“As you get older, life begins to take the shape of an hourglass. I'm on the bottom, counting the last few grains of sand yet to fall. And there are only so many left.”

And I get what he is trying to tell me.

Labels: , ,

posted by Pop Culture Casualty @ 9/15/2006 01:35:00 AM |

2 comments

<< Home