Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Happy Ho' Maker: An Interview with Konrad Product of Natural Born Hooker (copyright K.P.)

Last week I stopped in at Find Outlet (www.findoutlet.com), the great, Nolita-and now, Chelsea-boutique where every day’s a sample sale day, and I came across a pair of red, lacy underwear with an intriguiing "Ho'Made" label. A little legwork revealed that they were Natural Born Hookers (copyright K.P.) a new line of lingerie by Konrad Product, a Los Angeles-based designer and entrepreneur who runs a workshop operated exclusively by California sex workers. I e-mailed Product at his West Hollywood studio.


Q. What about Natural Born Hooker (copyright K.P.) do you think speaks to New York Women?

NBH speaks to the world, to anyone who's making their living on their back and counting the holes in the sound-proof ceiling. Judith Regan for instance. We're speaking to that New York 'ho.

Q. What separates Natural Born Hooker (copyright K.P.) from competitors like Victoria’s Secret and Agent Provocateur?

I’m not interested in "competition." To my mind, it doesn’t exist. I'm like Donna DeVerona, the 70’s swimming champ who swore by the motto, "We're all swimming in our own lane."

Q. Is it true that you offer your employees free on-site STD screenings.

STD screenings are passé. In fact, everything is passé. I am all about RIGHT NOW. Seriously, we only hire by the hour so health care isn’t part of our benefits package.

Q. What is a typical day like for a struggling new label head?

Lick, suck, lick, suck. You think it'd be simple but it's a constant struggle finding qualified personnel.

Q. Split seams, lipstick smears, cigarette burns - I love the whimsical details of your garments. Where do your ideas come from?

My best ideas come from watching Leo and Giselle.

Q. What do you see as the future of lingerie? Is red the new black?

Who is asking these dumb questions? YELLOW is the new PINK! I’m busy watching ENTOURAGE and want to lay my backside on Adrian Grenier's big lucious lips while Jeremy Pevin gets on all fours and barks like a chihuahua…




Labels:

posted by Anonymous @ 7/03/2005 02:08:00 PM |

1 comments

<< Home